Monday 20 June 2011

BOLLYWOOD ISHTYLE: Zarine Khan's Classical Style in 'Ready'

I recently watched Ready featuring Salman Khan and Asin as the lead characters (girl meets boy, girl tries to change boy, girl gets kidnapped by her crazy mafia uncles, same old predictable storyline really) and a few outfits in the movie caught my eye. Not least was Zarine Khan's cameo in her item song number (doesn't every film seem to have one nowadays...?), in which she looked noticeably slimmer and seemed determined to flaunt it. I'm sure most of you remember Zarine Khan from her debut in Veer, and in this film she similarly leaves her own mark. The song she appears in, 'Character Dheela' apparently pays tribute to to legendary Bollywood actors - Raj Kapoor, Dilip Kumar and Dharmendra.
Firstly, is the parody of Dilip Kumar alongside Madhubala in Mughal-e-Azam:




 Next comes the scene in which Salman and Zarine pay tribute as Dharmendra's Viru and counterpart Basanti:





And lastly comes the classical black-and-white era in which they present Raj Kapoor and Narghis in a scene:




I quite liked this touch in the song, I think its a nice way to show that the classics are far from forgotten without undermining them, and gives a nice twist to the film. I also like Zarine's wedding outfit in her small role as a runaway bride,I couldn't find better pictures of the sari she wears than these though:


All images owned by T Series and Sohail Khan Productions 
 
Maybe it's just me but I feel as if there is a slight hint of her traditional style from Veer such as the pearl strings decorations and the gold headpiece. Not my favourite outfit of the film though!

No comments:

Post a Comment