Monday 6 July 2015

BOLLYWOOD ISHTYLE: Suman's White Floral Suit in Maine Pyar Kiya

Every now and then, I'll get a hankering to watch a classic golden oldie. And this one goes way back to my childhood, Maine Pyar Kiya which was released at the end of the 80s, and where you can see the classic late 80s/early 90s fashion strongly present throughout the film.

So I watched this film not too long ago, and I loved how many memories it bought back to me - Salman Khan skinnier and with more hair, power jackets, tennis socks and THAT magical bridesmaidy dress I loved when I was 5, which had another skirt on top - I thought some of the outfits were pretty cool. A lot of them were simple but striking, and very strongly iconic of the 80s fashion and beautiful 90s, and I loved that there were so many I wanted for myself (or used to have!)

There were two suits which I loved in this film (and which I'd wear myself in a shot if I found them floating around on the high street!) - let me know if you liked these too - taken from one of the most famous songs in the film (which we all made fun of afterwards for years!)

The White Suit

This was something I remember seeing my eldest sister having something along the lines of back in the 90s - fitted kameezes with high collars, big flower motifs, churidar pants and chunky shoes (I'm pretty sure I've seen all of these in the fashion trends today!)

I loved that this is made even more classic with a simple high ponytail and pearl earrings, and really emphasised the Bhagyashree's (the heroine) figure for a slim, willowy look. While I'm less keen on the huge floral motif, I love the cut of this, and can imagine myself in this!


The Rainbow Outfit

I remember this trend a lot in the 90s (not to mention the long, loose straight hair and the simple bindi look!) and I also saw this rainbow look in a lot of other films (including this rainbow sari worn by Madhuri!)

This is perfect for a simple mehndi outfit or a dholki outfit - loose, comfortable and colourful, and very easy to copy - perfect for a 90s Bollywood theme!


I loved watching this movie and it's classic songs (my husband thought I was crazy for watching it but admitted it brought back a lot of memories for him too!) - it's given me the idea for a 90s Bollywood theme party or dholki one day.

The best thing about this is that I probably have some of these still in my wardrobe somewhere - not to mention the fact that a lot of 90s trends are in right now, so you'll be able to pick up something in the shops for a vintage style!

25 comments:

  1. I love this movie and I lovee that white dress. What id the name of that outfit???? I need it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can You tell fabric of the dress and Is it embroidery or painted on the dress?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want this white chudidaar... I love this movie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want this white dress

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want green dresss

    ReplyDelete